Monday 15 June 2015

NOTION INK CAIN 2 - pros and cons

A quick view...



Firstly, I am extremely delighted to see an ALL-INDIAN-MADE windows 8.1-based ultra tablet.
I bought it via snapdeal some 2-weeks back.   I have started using it extensively at home and office  (well, my company is talking loud about BYOD, so thought I would try more rather than talking,  so far no concerns raised by my manager atleast ;-)

Some major positives about this desi-gadget

+Very light-weight indeed.  Just weighs 650 gms and goes pretty easy on my back giving no strain to my 40+ year old spinal cord.

+Windows 8.1 is a nice OS to put (although it is not touch-friendly and Microsoft has many miles to go before they make their OS touch-friendly).   But the good thing is that it just boots up in few seconds.   So, I don't have to wait for those many boring minutes for the system to boot up.

+The qwerty chirpy magnetic keyboard is a major plus.   It become a complete laptop with it.

+It is a 10.1 inch pad offering 1280x800 pixels of resolution max.   It would have been nice if they had done 1280x900 which is a minimal standard resolution for high-resolution graphics.   But for a business user, visually it is not bad at all.  I can read my documents and mails pretty easily.

+Taking the screen pad off the keyboard and putting it back is a child's play.   It just goes and sits pretty nicely on the keyboard with a magnetic pull.

+The capacitive-touch is very adaptable to your fingers and responds instantly.

+It offers a plethora of secondary interfaces - you can refer to their technical spec. from their website http://notionink.com/.

+The wireless mouse that comes with the pack is a nice offering.   The quality of the mouse is good.

+I was thrilled to get a 500GB Samsung USB hard disk free of cost with the whole bundle that costs close to 20k INR.  

+The battery is great.  It stays awake for close to 8 hrs straight provided you are not subjecting the device to high intensity CPU operations.

+The 2 GB RAM and 32 GB internal memory is sufficient for any business user.     Windows 8.1 comfortably sits there and you have sufficient free RAM space for your regular activity.   The additional 64 GB memory card slot is a wonderful addition.   That way you don't have to clutter your C:  drive with all data.



+The handwriting recognizer is just great.   I just can write with my finger and it recognizes it instantly and promptly.  Very handy while traveling.

...... and now comes the big thing...

+Being Windows 8.1, Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to Windows 10.   At the time of writing this blog, I am upgrading to Windows 10.   I hope I am taking the right decision to move.   My next blog will be about my experience of using this device with Windows 10.

Some drawbacks....that should be talked about  (Nobody is perfect in this world!)



-The keyboard leaves some easily-seen inprint traces on the screen which irritatingly disturbs your view.   Although they have given a screen guard,  you often have to change it and you do not get the exact size in the market.  So,  you have to buy a generic size screen gaurd and cut it to suite the size.   Somewhat unfriendly in my perspective.     As a workaround, I keep a plastic cover between the screen and the keyboard while closing - I hope I will always remember to do so,  if not, I would leave more keyb imprints on the screen.   It becomes very very difficult over a period of time.   The screen guard could have been of better quality.   I even doubt the quality of the screen here.   I guess, somewhere the company had to cut corners to bring down the cost and they sacrifised the quality of the screen which IMHO was not the right decision.

-Using the keyboard while in motion (say in a train or car) is a pain on my neck.   Athough it sits nicely on the angled bracket cover,  it just shakes because it has no hinges to hold it.   You will have to hold it with one hand while  you just can't type with the other hand.   I lost the purpose of buying this pad due to this inconvenience.

-You would see some lags with high resolution games.    This one is not ideal for gaming.   It is good for business use.

So far so good, I hope the service would be good if I start hitting problems.   Anyway, with this price tag, this is a nice alternative to those costly tabs and laps.   You may go for it  BUT take care of the screen - it is pretty nasty with impressions which you just can't erase once caught.

-Krishnan





2 comments:

  1. Great article Krishnan! I like the "Make in India" part. I'm sure your feedback will be considered by the Notion team and they will come up with a better product soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so Saral. This is a complaint many customers have reported and they don't have a way to solve it. It is becoming increasingly difficult as every day passes by.

    ReplyDelete