Monday 19 September 2011

(Un)Conventional Railway Bell

(Un)conventional Railway Bell @ Hosur Station

I was waiting for a train at Hosur Railway Station (Southern India).   The train was late (as usual!) by 35 minutes.    Just then,  I heard the automated computertized voice announcing that "Train No. XXX, abc express will be arriving on platform number YY at 6:30 pm".   This was repeated several times in 3 different languages which got the message right into everyone's brain.    Just then, I saw a old lady with an iron rod in her hand next to me.   I wasn't sure what she was upto using the rod.    After a few minutes, I heard a very strong bell poking my ears making me half deaf.    That was the magic of the old women with her iron rod hitting it strongly against an iron bar hanging next to me.   After some enquiry, I got to understand  that the bell sound was to alert the public that a train will be arriving soon.    Something which was already announced few minutes back using the public address system.    What was the need to bang the bell when the public address system was already in place ?   This is something that I could never get an answer.

Thanks to the modern system with (un)conventional wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment