Sunday 26 June 2011

e-mail Dust and pollution -> ePollution

I successfully unsubscribed from tonnes of mailing lists today - many of them were chained through other subscriptions.   I didn't even remember subscribing to few of them and I was wondering  how did I get registered into them.    Over the past 6-months or so, I was suffering from a different kind of disease caused by pollution (the ePollution) created through e-mail dust.   Yes, we started calling it a 'dust'.   I borrowed the term from my wife as she saw and exclaimed at it terming it as a 'dusty inbox'.
Although, I did not agree with this term initially, but, the more I pondered around, I started accepting it. 

I don't know when my inbox started getting dusty, but I know the root cause.   It is probably the day when I started subscribing to some of the mailing lists and news letters thinking that I would get critical and helpful notifications.   But I did not realize that too much help is no help and I am the guy to be blamed - no one else.   Situation got dusty and uncontrollable when some of the important mails got burried within other unsolicited mails inside my polluted inbox.   Thanks to gmail's priority inbox feature which gave me some respite from this blunder which I created.  But, the situation did not get changed drastically.   

The only solution to this problem was to unregister/unsubscribe from those unsolicited mailing lists.

Many of us do suffer from this ePollution caused by the dusty inbox, some of us learn to live with it (like the the way people learn to live with pains) and some of us try to deal with it in different ways.   But, let me tell you, most of us are going through this unpleasant experience which we created ourselves.  

Is there a National Do Not Mail Registry system available to save us?    Probably not...we need something like this immediately.  I hope the Govt. will act now with due diligence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment