Sunday 31 July 2011

Moved to GNOME 3 ...

I was experimenting with GNOME 3 over the weekend on my OpenSuSE 11.4 Desktop.  First I tried the One-Click install which actually screwed up my desktop completely.   After analyzing little more and studying various forums on the internet, I opted the 'zypper'  approach which worked great for me.

I used the GNOME 3:Stable repository thru zypper to install GNOME 3 on my OpenSuSE desktop and this is what I got.   It looks beautiful and appealing.   My first experience has been pretty smooth.   In minutes I was able to get my applications configured against the new scintillating desktop.    My first view ... "GNOME 3 is a completely new approach to desktop users"  - far better than Windows 7 and its predecessors.   GNOME 3 is going to be default with next OpenSuSE community edition (after 11.4) - but I am taking an early look at it and is planning to file some defects to improve the desktop computing exprience.

If you are a serious desktop user, I urge you try this.....I am sure you would love it.

Kudos to the GNOME community !     


3 comments:

  1. What do you mean by "GNOME 3 is a completely new approach to desktop users" ? How is it better than older versions ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice start :)

    ReplyDelete